Scenic Designer/Carpenter/Painter: The Public Theater seeks a Scenic Designer/Carpenter/Painter, responsible for designing, painting and constructing sets while integrating requirements from the script, Directors, and budget. This position works closely with Directors and other Designers to reach artistic goals within the allotted resources.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare sketches, illustrations, and detailed drawings of sets for approval and make changes and corrections as directed
- Read scripts to determine location, set, or decoration requirements
- Research and/or consult with experts to determine architectural and furnishing styles to depict given periods or locations
- Select furniture, draperies, pictures, lamps, and rugs for decorative quality and appearance
- Design and build scale models of set design or miniature sets used in filming backgrounds or special effects
- Deliver concepts, drawings, and renderings on time/before deadlines
- Revise scenic designs as necessary
- Design concepts realistically within fiscal and time parameters
- Attend all production meetings and other meetings as needed
- Assist Technical Director with build scheduling
- Paint scenery
- Build and install scenery, organize the operation and maintenance of all scenery during rehearsal and performance, and dismantle and/or store all scenery at the end of the run
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- Assist with all Public Theater events as required, including Annual Gala, Special Performances, etc.
REQUIREMENTS: The Public Theater seeks to hire an individual with excellent organizational and communication skills - written, oral and visual - with the ability to work productively under pressure and meet deadlines. Ideal candidates must have the experience and ability to use power tools and hand tools accurately and effectively as well as work on ladders, scaffolding and personal lifts, including lighting grid; possess sufficient strength and stamina to lift up to 50 pounds and be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting, bending, standing, climbing; and hold a valid Drivers License and ability to drive large trucks up to 20’ in length. Candidates must be available on nights and weekends as needed in order to meet deadlines or troubleshoot any technical problem in performances and act as a good ambassador on behalf of The Public Theater of San Antonio and treat people consistent with the mission and values of the organization. Proficiency needed at drafting in Vector Works, AutoCAD, or Sketchup. Professional design experience in large scale musical productions required as well as BFA or BA in Theatre Scenic Design or equivalent experience.
Qualified individuals should send resume and cover letter to George Green at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TABC Certified Bartenders: The Public is accepting résumés to fill Bartender positions immediately. We are looking for friendly, outgoing, detail-oriented individuals interested in part-time positions for performances and special events. Must be TABC Certified. Hours limited. Interested parties should email their résumé and a cover letter to Courtnie Mercer at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.